Thursday, November 12, 2009

Counting Down

The time has come in our house. The time to start counting down. We're four weeks away from the due date of our little girl. 4 weeks - wow! I am definitely in denial about this one. I used to tell people that asked... "I'm due in December", because December seemed SO far off. (Even if it was October) Now though, I can't really hide behind a date or a number. It's all becoming too real for me that I'm going to be the mother of two.

First, I can't believe my son, Aiden, is going to be two soon. So I guess that's the first part of my denial. I can't believe he'll be moving out of a crib, into a big bed, that he's talking so much, that he repeats everything we say, that he even knows his letters and can make the sound of them, that he knows so much sign language, that he's sitting at our dining room table some instead of his highchair, NO NO NO!! It's happening all too quickly!!!

Second, I can't believe I'm going to have a girl. Yes, tomboy, Shanna, is having a little girl! The girl who wanted all boys, who wished she could have coached pro sports, who always hung out with the guys instead, was an intramural ref in college, hates to dress up, the girl who's never worn make up - YES, THAT girl, is having one of her own!!!!!

Third, I think the hardest and best part is that through these two children, I'm going to be CHANGED! Okay, yes, I said it. I'll be CHANGED! I'm freaked out about it but I know it's going to be good. God is already working on me and my heart - yes, it's hard - but I know its going to be for the good. I'll have to give up more, I'll have to die to self more, I'll have to check email and facebook less, I'll have to nurse a baby while tending to a toddler, I'll have to learn to live without a nap somedays, I'll have to be more disciplined, I'll have to rely on God a TON more! All of these hard - extremely hard - things are going to CHANGE me!

So, in the end, I'm a sucker! I think I'm actually getting excited about meeting my little girl, putting a dress on her and maybe even a bow in her hair!

We'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to meet my little precious niece. Are you taking the herbs?
Shelly

PaulAmy said...

Hey Shanna-Great post!
It's wonderful you're hashing all this out now. I have 4 children and I'm still in denial! You're right, we have to die to self, but it's, oh, so hard. You're a great mom, and you have the best sisters in the world! I know they will be there for you. You're so blessed, not everyone has that!
Like Shelly said, are you taking the herbs?

Shanna Bauman said...

Shelly and Amy, I am taking the Gentle Birth Herbs. I've got just 4 weeks to go so I'm "gearing up" my system!! ha!

Julie K said...

You will be fine. You did a great job with Aiden so I have no doubt you will do the same with "her"! :) Having two will be a challenge but you are up for it! God never gives us more than we can handle...even though we don't always believe that at the time. Take care of yourself in preparation for the 'big day'. We cannot wait to meet Baby B. And...I am so glad to read that you will be putting her in a dress every now and then!! :)