Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How do you solve a problem like Stella?

Well instead of a problem like Maria we have a problem like Stella! I love her dearly but man is she all over the place and at a very frustrating stage!

She knows a few signs so she can communicate a little but for the most part she cries or grunts when she wants something! **Annoying**

She doesn't quite know the difference between a 'love pat' and a 'smack'! **Painful**

Stella is learning to climb - yes climb - onto my dining room benches and chairs. Therefore also standing on the tables! **Dangerous**

She has this silent cry where you know she's in pain but can't really get any sound out. Open mouth and not breathing kind of cry! **Just pitiful**

Stella loves music and dancing and will instantly start to groove when she hears a jingle. **Adorable**

She's is becoming quite the picky eater and snubs you when you try to feed her something she doesn't want. Oh yeah, true "talk to the hand" kind of snub. **Unhealthy**

Stella also knows how to work her parents over. She can give us a little giggle, show us her adorable smile and she pretty much gets what she wants. **Suckers**

She also continues to "walk" on her knees. Not wanting to get on her feet much. We've been told to "force" her to walk behind some toys and within a month they want to see progress. **Baby Bootcamp Here We Come**

BUT one new thing we think Stella might also have to her credit is a DAIRY allergy **BOO**

Stella has always had bad excema like her brother did but her's seems to be all over her body where Aiden's was primarily his legs and arms. The itching she does has caused many sores, bleeding and scabs and most lotions and oral medications aren't helping.

So, the pediatrician wants us to try to go on a dairy strike and not give any to Stella. WHAT!!! How does that look exactly?? You mean no ice cream, no cheese, no milk, NO DAIRY!! WHAT! Yes, I'm still in shock that it could be an allergy. Several signs point to that now that I think about it more but I am still in denial.

So, please pray for us as we navigate this next month and try our hardest not to give Stella dairy products. Now that she's tasted the good stuff it's gonna be hard! She has already cried for her milk several times - when all I could offer her was a "milk alternative". (We're trying almond milk to start)

I really hope we find out that it's not dairy - but then - that means continued bad skin - so I don't know what I'm really wishing for. HEALING - that's it! True skin healing. And, that the new, stronger prescriptions we also got at the appointment will help!

So... how do you solve a problem like Stella? You gotta LOVE her!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Poor thing! Maybe if it's the allergy, some of the attitude will clear up too when she feels better?! It's a good thing she's so stinking cute!!

Katherine Jacobs said...

Sorry to hear this, Shanna, but glad to know Ellie isn't the only one with attitude at 15 months :-) Will be praying for you all...

Lorie said...

Oh, yes! I knew I was in trouble when Eve started stomping her feet around 15 months. Many of the things you describe with Stella are true for Miss Evelyn. She doesn't have mom wrapped around her finger as much as she does daddy. I'm so sorry about the possible dairy allergy. Maybe it won't be true and you'll continue the search for the skin condition while eating cheese.