Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Surgery Scheduled

I wanted to update our blog with the latest on my kidney stones in case you hadn't heard. I had my follow up appt to meet with the urology surgeon who will perform the actual surgery. I was nervous and anxious going into the appointment I was afraid I wouldn't sleep the night before.

God is good, as always, and provided me with a great doctor and a wealth of knowledge. They explained exactly what will happen and my plan of treatment. So... for those that want the details..

My surgery is scheduled for June 6th - yes, I'll keep the tube until then - at 2pm. They'll go in through the site that the tube is currently in and make a little larger hole. They'll then be able to enter the kidney and break up the three massive stones a little. Breaking them in half will allow them to come out easier. After retrieving all the pieces they'll put the tube back in for the night and they'll observe how I'm doing. I'll spend the night in the hospital and they'll do another CT scan they next day. All should be good and if that's the case I'll get discharged. If any piece is still in the kidney they'll go in for surgery again.

They've said I'll have a 10-14 day recovery and will likely be pretty sore. BUT the good news is I will go home STONE AND TUBE FREE!!  I really can't wait for them to analyze them and tell me what these suckers are made of.

Also, do you think they'll let me bring the stones home? Ya know, for bragging rights?  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an ordeal for you! Been thinking of you through this process and will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Aunt Cheryl

Leigh Anne said...

I sure hope you get to take them home! Bring a sandwich bag to the hospital in case they let you! It was wonderful seeing you this past Friday and getting to spend time with Aiden and Stella! They are beautiful and kind children. Phil and I had a wonderful time, as did mom! See you soon!