Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Scrooge

So you've heard of a scrooge at Christmas right? Well I'm starting to think I might be an Easter scrooge. Certainly not in regards to the religious aspects. By gosh, it's a monumental weekend for a Christian as we reflect on what all our Savior did for us. BUT, in regards to the other hype around Easter - I am declaring myself a scrooge.

Maybe it's due to my parents. The preacher in my dad always made sure we focused on the reason for the weekend. I never once had an easter basket, my sisters and I never got a new dress, I don't recall big easter egg hunts, I'm not even sure we dyed eggs and took family pictures during the Easter holiday.

So... when Brian said we needed to get Easter baskets together for Aiden and Stella I looked at him and said "WHAT?" "Isn't that just spending money when we don't have too?" And then when he wanted to dye eggs and bought the kit all I could think about was the mess Stella would create with the colored water!  SCROOGE!! Yes - that's me!

Well after thinking through it I decided I needed to just let go and have fun. So, we bought baskets and filled them modestly and we let Aiden dye eggs (while Stella napped) :).  But I didn't buy my kids new outfits and looking back - I'm sad - but we didn't take one single family picture on Easter Sunday!

So, I am now only half a scrooge right? Maybe next year will be different! We'll see!







For our Veggie Tales loving son...

And his little sister....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aiden looks like he is having fun coloring eggs. They are so proud when they are done. It is fun!!!! love Grandma Leah

Leigh Anne said...

Aiden is getting so big! I cannot handle it! Dying eggs was always such a fun family activity.